Sunday 19 February 2012

Time to ketchup


It's easy to forget when you're on a diet that condiments are loaded with sugar, salt and fat, but there are nearly always 'healthy' options available. That is unless you are on a Paleo/Primal diet! Having read the labels on dozens of jars, I'd given up finding any that I could eat! And so, I decided to make my own!

I found a recipe for tomato ketchup and although I dont usually stock alot of the ingredients, like fennel bulbs and celery, I figured it was worth a try! It seemed pretty simple to make, and even the prep work didnt take too long, the only downside being the amount of washing up I created! The options for vinegar were Red Wine, Apple Cider or Balsamic, and I went with Balsamic as to me it seemed more 'ketchupy'. I was a little worried that the quantity of vinegar was a bit overpowering, so I would definitely advise putting it in a little at a time and tasting! As it is, what I ended up with was something not disimilar to one of my favourites, HP Brown Sauce!! 2 nice big bottles, one for the fridge, one for the store cupboard! I am hoping that these will last a while before I have to make more!

And so for dinner last night, we had homemade turkey burgers wrapped in lettuce leaves, with a little 'ketchup'! Lovely!!

Hubby now wants me to make the BBQ Sauce...!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks fab! I'm going to make the barbecue sauce this week to use on my pizza. Will let you know! (Although, I am going to be devilishly naughty and use some low-sugar ketchup that I have lying around instead of making up a batch of ketchup just so that I can make BBQ sauce!)

    ReplyDelete